Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Abernathy Peak - June 28/29 2014

 Photo opportunity at the Washington Pass overlook! Sun and smiles are deceptive as indicators of what we encountered during the weekend...
 Deb "Lone Wolf", Dre, Matt. (Cal behind the camera)

Minor log crossing along the approach hike to Scatter Lake. Minor sprinkling of rain.. it will clear up, right?
Immediately upon landing into camp at Scatter Lake (elevation ~6300 feet), the wind picked up and it was COLD. We quickly threw the tents together, bolted 'em down with large rocks and got water boiling. Matt took me up on my offer to go for the summit, so we did. Matt's photo of the sunset (to the left) shows the fleeting view we had from the climb up to the summit. We encountered white-out conditions and snow at the top of the peak (~7300 feet).


We signed the register and descended back to camp. I didn't get much sleep; heavy winds and cold rain kept me shivering. I did have a hot (1L Nalgene) water bottle hugged into my chest that provided extra warmth. The four of us got a late start Sunday morning, and hit the summit (again for me and Matt) around 10:30 AM. White-out conditions (as seen in pics of the group and Deb on the right). Great snow for the climb up to the class 2 scramble to the summit. No hands!
View of Scatter Lake on the descent.

No comments:

Post a Comment