Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Swakane Canyon

Birthday hike with Jenee.  Swakane Canyon is located along the Columbia River, near Wenatchee, WA.  From the trailhead onward, gorgeous view of rolling mossy green hills and clear blue water.   I kept thinking and saying out loud "this is so beautiful.  Incredible.  We are so lucky."  Last night in Advanced Exploration at The Samarya Center, Molly initiated discussion about the idea of connection, and how small actions we all make could either contribute to or mitigate connection with others.  The rich conversation led my mind to wander to ways I enhance and stunt connection and growth for my spiritual life.   Today, spending hours in nature amongst wild flowers and chirping crickets generated immense love and stillness inside of me.  And, there is a converse. I have spent many a mountain climbs feeling irritable and totally disconnected from whatever grandeur created the ground I treaded.  The difference?  Intention, perhaps.  I chose to spend my 27th birthday with a cherished friend on a new trail because I wanted to explore an area of Washington new to me, and be outside of the city.  Other times, I have sought solace in the mountains to escape my chaotic and unpredictable mind.  It seems that when I am using nature as an escape, rather than an experience, my time is less enjoyable.  I'm still trying to 'get somewhere', rather than 'be somewhere.'   Most ideas lead me back to examining my spiritual life, which is the basis for all of my other relationships.  If I don't feel connected to the self of me that is outside of my mind, I have a very hard time maintaing balance and equanimity in my interactions with other people.








No comments:

Post a Comment