Friday, March 11, 2011

gear

A couple of nights ago one of the co-directors of '3 Summits', Eddie, and one of the rope leaders for my team, Brett, held a 'gear clinic' at Brett's house for those of us wanting to see what supplies/technical equipment/clothing we will need for the summit attempt.   Brett and Eddie displayed their fully equipped packs, and let each of us try them on to feel the weight.   Our packs will weigh roughly forty-five pounds when stocked with equipment, food, and water.  Forty-five pounds feels manageable when hefting the pack on my back for 30 seconds in the middle of a living room - slogging forty-five pounds 5,000 feet up a snow-covered mountain wearing heavy boots is a rather different experience.  If my Wonderland Trail escapade from last summer is any indication of my pack's comfort, I am re-evaluating getting a different one.  I came home from four long days of hiking with 40-50 pounds on my back with raw, bruised, bloody hipbones and a deflated morale.

What I learned: I have a fair amount of the gear already (tent, sleeping bag, stove, some clothing, crampons)
and
I have some shopping to do.

 Notably, I need to purchase
-helmet
-ice axe
-boots
-harness

Eddie emailed the 3 Summits climbers today to alert us of a sale Outdoor Research started today, that will extend through Sunday.  I dipped out of a co-workers farewell fiesta for an hour this evening after work to check the sale out.  Was worth my time - I found three clothing items I was lacking (base shirt, hiking pants, and liner gloves), and got them all for under $90.    During the gear clinic, Eddie made the comment that when it comes to gear and clothing, there are three main differentiations - comfort, weight, and cost.  Usually, a piece of gear or clothing will fit into two of the sectors-  If something is comfortable and light, it is probably very expensive.  If something is cheap and comfortable, its likely heavy, etc.

I asked Eddie what our itinerary will be on the mountain - roughly it will break down like this:

-drive to Mt. Rainier on Friday morning, eat a hefty late breakfast/early lunch.  Hike up with fully stocked packs to base camp.  Set up camp, sleep.
-Saturday - spend the day melting snow for water, going for a day hike.  Early to bed.
-Sunday 1-2 AM - wake up, fill packs with basic food, water, and emergency survival provisions.  Attempt to summit.  Probably get to the summit 5-6 hours later.    Return to base camp, pack camp, hike down to cars.

No comments:

Post a Comment